Friday, February 1, 2013

Piled Up?

Everyone has it. The pile of things we need to do when we have time.  Some people have a pile of papers on their desk or a pile of household items to be sorted through.  Maybe the pile is a corner of stuff in the garage or, in some cases, maybe the whole garage has become a pile.  It’s the pile of things we know we should do when we have time.  Our days fill up and when the day becomes too full the unfinished, and less urgent, items join the pile. 

We will eventually get to the pile, when we are not busy.  But today, we are busy.
It was a Business professor who asked me if I was addicted to being busy.  I laughed, but I had to face the fact that I enjoyed being busy and I had become accustomed to it.  I returned to school as an adult; I was extremely busy with homework, work, school board and taking care of my family.  I had become used to the adrenaline rush in order to get stuff done.  But not everything was done, there was a pile. Don’t worry there was nothing urgent in the pile.

I finished school, took time off work and slowed my life down; I was able to get to the pile. I filed papers, organized rooms, reconnected with friends, read books, and took care of the non-urgent items.  I felt a sense of accomplishment and a sense of sadness when I realized a few important items were buried in the pile.  I realized it was too easy to stay busy and miss out on things that were important like relationships, mealtimes with family, and sitting around to watch a movie or play a game.  The non-urgent things were in the pile.
It’s not easy to slow down, but we must.     
If things are piling up, it’s a good indication that we might be too busy.  Maybe some important things have been buried in the pile because they were not urgent at the time: devotions, diet and exercise, relaxation, shopping, time with friends, and time with our children or spouse.  We need to take time to relax and sort through the busyness.  We need to learn to say “no” and create margin in our lives, otherwise important things might end up buried in our pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment