Saturday, June 8, 2013

Surprise Me Lord

Wow, what a weekend.  I am writing this on the flight home from Miami where I attended a “Surprise Wedding.”  A young man, Ryan, was dating Amanda for several years.  Her dream was to be engaged and married on the same day.  What a brave and bold dream. 

Unbeknown to her, Ryan worked on planning this wedding for a year and a half.  He wanted to fulfill her dream. He planned the big day to be in Florida as a SURPRISE to her!  

I am a planner.  I wouldn’t consider myself a control freak, but rather a “responsible person” who needs to make sure all of the details are worked out.  The concept of a surprise wedding baffled me.  I wouldn’t want to leave it up to the groom to plan it all. I wondered what would happen if she said no.  There was a lot at stake for both of them.

A tropical storm in the area affected many of his specific plans.  Amanda’s flight was canceled.  Ryan worked feverishly to reschedule her flight; she arrived late Thursday night.  He quickly realized that the only thing that was important was the soon-to-be-bride being there.  Early the next morning, he let her know that today was “the day.”  He proposed, “Will you marry me today?” She said yes.  Then he had a mini-gathering for all of the guests who traveled from all over the country.  We briefly celebrated the engagement before wedding preparations began.

I personally don’t like being surprised and I’m not sure I would have liked my groom to do all of the wedding planning.  But you should have seen Amanda’s face – tears of joy coupled with unbelievable excitement! She was overflowing with gratitude.  Before she even knew everything he had planned, she said “This is perfect.”  She trusted her groom.  What a genius she was!  She did not have to fret over the details of a wedding. She literally just had to say “yes” and be the bride.

Ryan’s plans were amazing and she was totally surprised!  He planned the proposal and he figured out a way for her to pick out her own wedding dress.  He thought of EVERYTHING: guest list, invites, flowers, program, pastor, wedding party, rings, tuxes, bridesmaids’ dresses, ushers, musicians, groom's dinner, reception dinner, DJ, and honeymoon. There were about 100 people at this surprise wedding. This was not thrown together; it was a fully planned dream wedding. He wanted to please his soon-to-be-bride and he gave his best.

As I watched this unfold I was challenged!  The level of trust and love they had for each other was astounding. She accepted whatever he planned with gratitude and he trusted she would say “yes.”  It was then I saw the downside of being overly “responsible”.  Maybe I would experience more joy with a greater level of trust for the Lord.  Maybe surprises aren’t so bad.  After all, this was amazing! Ryan went above and beyond and she did not have to experience the stress of planning it…just the joy of experiencing it! 

The wedding did not turn out exactly like Ryan had planned; he faced many obstacles.  The tropical storm raged throughout the day; the streets flooded, flights delayed, guests delayed, the wedding moved indoors, and original reception area flooded.  Ryan handled every setback with class and made the necessary adjustments. Amanda was able to enjoy being the bride. The wedding turned out beautiful and they were “Mr. & Mrs.” by the end of the day.

The Bible refers to the church as the “bride of Christ.”  Maybe this is how Christianity is supposed to work - trust the groom!  Christ is planning many good things for us that we are not aware of, storms rage but His glorious return is still coming.  Perhaps our own need to plan everything cheats us out of many blessings.  We don’t need to fret and worry; we just need to say “yes” with gratitude.  This weekend, I found myself praying, “Lord, I’m sorry for not trusting You more. I am sorry for trying to plan it all.  Will you surprise me?”  It makes sense. Why fret? Why do it all in our own strength?  Let the Lord take care of the details of our lives. After all, the Bible says God does exceedingly above all we can ask or think (Eph 3:20).

I am ready for the Lord to surprise me, how about you?

12 comments:

  1. Wow - thanks for sharing! What a beautiful lesson!! You are a great planner! But even better you are a beautiful crown!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heidi! It was a really cool experience with an unexpected lesson.

      Delete
  2. Amazing story!! And a beautiful correlation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen. It was an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved everything about the incredible day. As Jodi's groom 19 years ago, I could not imagine having had anything close to Ryan's level of complete expertise in wedding planning. I do, however, want to be the type of husband on the journey who seeks to surprise my wife in a positive way! What a powerful statement: Trust the Groom! As the bride of Christ we have the opportunity to repeatedly trust him in little and big ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You surprise me everyday by how you unconditionally love me. Thanks for choosing me to be your wife! I love you!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful story! Thank you for sharing and what a life lesson in trusting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome perspective! I would have never viewed it this way! What an amazing day :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT'S a marriage with great promise! Thank you so much for sharing. As I sit here pondering your lesson, my heart is gripped with the conviction of how little room there is in my life for His surprises... and I grieve what I have missed. I don't want to miss any more! Surprise me, Lord!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! I am still asking the Lord to surprise me! His ways are higher than our ways!

      Delete